Sharing stories. Changing lives.
One visit at a time.
The Author Experience partners with schools working with students facing socioeconomic challenges to build and sustain a culture of literacy—one that inspires a lifelong love and connection to the written word.
As a 501 (c) (3), The Author Experience organizes and funds in-school author visits that culminate with each child going home with a bagful of books, a writer’s notebook, and an enthusiasm to share their story.
Do you think your students would benefit from connecting with authors and illustrators?
Work With Us
Are you an author or illustrator who wants to connect with students and schools?
Make A Difference
Want to adopt a school and impact hundreds of students’ literacy development?
Did you know?
- The ratio of books to children in middle-income neighborhoods is 13-1 and in low-income neighborhoods the ratio is closer to 1-300 (Neuman & Dickinson, 2006).
- The most successful way to improve the reading achievement of low-income children is to increase their access to print (Newman, et al., 2000).
- The gap in proficiency rates between low-income and higher-income students widened by nearly 20% over the past decade (AECF, 2014).
- 80% of children from families facing economic challenges are below proficiency in reading, compared with 49% of children from families not facing economic challenges (AECF, 2014).
- Home libraries have a substantial effect on children’s educational attainment (Evans, et al., 2010).
- Storytelling is an effective means to increase early literacy and promote reading comprehension skills (Haven & Ducey, 2007).
In its first year, The Author Experience has given
over 400 books to 125 students.
“Pinch me.” – A Second Grade Boy Looking Through the Bag of Books
“Now I can start a collection of books. I don’t have any at home.” – A Second Grade Girl
“We were honored that you chose our school to pilot The Author Experience! It was the highlight of my day to see our second graders so excited to meet an author and receive a gift bag chock full of books and a journal! What an invaluable experience you provided them with.” – Assistant Principal (District 4, NYC)
“I can’t believe how excited my students were after the visit. They are carrying around their writer’s notebooks and telling each other stories, non-stop. Some of them can’t wait to read the NEXT books in the Bad Guys and Chicken Squad series. So exciting. Thank you. Can’t wait until next year.” – Teacher (District 4, NYC)